Thoughts

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Deviated Septum

As long as I can remember, I so often suffered from everyday headaches and I often breathe through my mouth. When I was at school I couldn't play\ run with the kids for long and I'd feel tired very quickly because I'm not able to get enough oxygen through nose breathing.

I remember when the teachers asked me why I wasn't playing or hanging around with my friends, and I answer that I have a headache, they look at me in a weird way as if I had a mental problem. They often called mom to see if I had any psychological problems!

They wouldn't believe that it was because of my "nose problem".

I've been to many doctors and they all agreed that I have a Deviated Septum and I should go under surgery to fix it.


The reason that cause the deviation as mom says is that I fell from my bed flat on my face when I was a baby, but I'm really not sure :\ !

It got worse 10 years ago. I visit the doctor when I had flu or cold because this is when my condition turns very bad. And so I use nasal sprays and drops for awhile. But for the last seven years, I have been using nasal sprays and drops constantly. I used almost all kinds of sprays but the only one that helps me breathing is Otrivin, which I have become addicted to for 2 years now. I literally PANIC and start to cry when I run out of Otrivin!

Otrivin helps me breath. My nose is often congested and that causes infected sinuses- which cause my unbearable headaches- Otrivin is the answer.

I have only agreed to go under surgery because of the side-effects of Otrivin, and I pray to Allah that I can get rid of it for good after the surgery.


I'm doing my operation tomorrow inshallah. The procedure is called septoplasty. It's an operation to correct the deformity of the nasal septum (no, it's not a nose job!). It helps increase the size of the airways to improve the nasal breathing.

What I'm worried about is the anesthesia (I know it can make you feel sick and I can't bear that!) and the packs that will be placed in my nostrils after surgery :( I think that sucks!

Pray for me all and wish me good luck..

Posted by Faith :: 4:51 PM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------